Thursday, June 18, 2009

Hambuch

Had my last village tours of this trip today.  I traveled with Else and Werner to the Kreis Cochem-Zell region of Rheinland to tour my ancestral homes of Hambuch and Gillenbeuren. Our Sanger, Schwarz, Wilkemy and Fuhrman lines come from Hambuch.

Heike and Else had found Heir Pauli through his daughter on the internet.  He shared some photos with me and a hand written history of the village.  I have learned today that this region (the eifel--spelling?) was very poor at the time the Sanger family immigrated to America (1850s) and that it still was into the 1950s.  Heir Pauli explained that the people in the village today had to commute out of Hambuch to find work.  The Sanger name is no longer found there, but Wilhelmy/Wilhelmi is very common.

He gave us a tour of the village before we headed on to Gillenbeuren.  






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Molly,
There were many immigrants from the Eifel region of the Rhineland who settled in Stearns County and just south of the Twin Cities in Jordan, Shakopee, Waconia, Heidelberg, Union Hill etc.all good Catholics. You are in good company!
Bob aka. FL

Marcy and Jim said...

Molly, I am just finding time to check out your blog and you can't imagine my surprise when I recognized people in your pictures. You are touring with the "Liebl girls"? Europe will never be the same. Jim babysat those "little" girls so we know Virginia and crew quite well. Tell them hi from us.