We stopped in Schilligau Friday. It was my first time there knowing my ancestors had once lived there.
Their house would have been located next to one of the ponds. It was no longer there--now a cattle yard. A road led past the ponds and went uphill, I followed it.
At the top of this hill were several buildings and barns full of cattle--and an amazing vista. Just up the hill from Grandma Helget's childhood home was an amazing panoramic view of pasture land and evergreens.
I stood and soaked in the moment as a strong wind blew hard in my face and I struggled to resist it. I felt the ancestors were there with me, embracing me, welcoming me home.
I kept looking back thinking some of the others would be coming to catch me--I was way off leash. But they didn't come. It was just me and the cattle and the wind and the view...





No comments:
Post a Comment