Sorry I haven't gotten a post written yet as I'm sure some of you are waiting to hear more about how I'm doing. I guess I did a "Lori" yesterday, which means you go until you're so tired you crash, which meant no energy to post. So let me fill you in on my adventures.
I flew out of MSP @ 6:30am Wednesday morning on Sun Country. Hung out at JFK until flying out on Jet Airways @ 6:30pm. (Um, heads up, Jet Airways still serves you real food--Indian Chicken Curry anyone?--best airplane food I've ever had). This flight landed in Brussels where I was to transfer to Malev Airlines (Hungarian). As great as Jet Airways was the transfer through in Brussels was the opposite. LONG and DISORGANIZED lines to get through Customs, and only a little better to get through Security. No need to worry in the end, though, as the connecting flight was late. (At least if a flight was going to be late it was ok that it was this one.)
I always think I LOVE the airport and travel but when getting to your destination means two solid days of travel it can be a little overwhelming. When I got in Thursday late afternoon I knew I needed rest and that's what I did. Nothing more exciting than the frustration of not having my metro ticket punched and getting a nice on the spot fine of 6,000 Forint. (I bought a Budapest 72-hour card today so I don't have to mess with when to punch a ticket or where to buy a ticket for a few days, at least).
Friday I got up, found a market across the street, fueled up and headed out. I did not use public transportation this day (partly because I was miffed about the ticket, but also because I knew I could and it felt good to be moving after all that time in planes and airports). I'm not alone. I'm traveling with Rick Steves as my personal guide (at least his book!). I followed his tour for the Pest Town Center Walk. And I ate at McDonald's!
I know, you're thinking "Molly, you don't go to Europe to eat American fast food!" But, I ate at an Historic McDonald's. I'm sure you're still saying the above... But here's the key, this McDonald's was the first to open behind Iron Curtain. Eastern European Citizens flocked here during Communism to get a taste of the West. Lines were often long so it wasn't fast food back then, but for me it was. I had a Big Mac like a true American girl should! Tasted just like home! (I was intrigued by the Taco Burger but not enough to try it!)
I walked along the Danube, saw some great architecture and ended up at the Great Market Hall. This is a great old fashioned shopping center with many booths for produce, meats and groceries on the main level and shopping on the upper level. I bought some paprika and several embroidered linens. (I hope this works similar to buying sheets before you buy your new bed, I hope to find tables to work with my sizes of linens!)
Anyhow, I got back late enough that I was able to take so time exposure shots.
This morning I did one of the neatest things I've ever done in my life--The Szechenyi Baths! When I got there I bought a ticket for a cabin rental plus a 30-minute massage. I had seen these baths in programs I watched about Budapest but seeing it in person was a real treat! I had time to soak for about a half hour before my massage. I was in what turns out is called the "Fun Pool" as their are water jets and the circle they spin you around in. It wasn't very hot and I was thinking, hey, don't you have anything hotter? I had to ask for help finding the massage place, which was opposite the outside area and inside the building around several turns and bends. It was a nice massage, however, so kept me face down the whole time, so only my back and the back of my legs got worked on (this is your runner thinking ITs and quads woulda been nice). To get to the massage area I spotted the indoor pools and I hung out there after my massage. There were 35 and 38 degree celcius pools and I switched between them often for a good while. Then I found smaller pools of 40 and 20 degrees. (After running the half marathon we get free entry into the baths and I think I'll head to the cool pools to help my legs recover.) Then I found a pool outside that was also 38, before working my way back to the pool where I started which was a 35 degree pool. I then felt bold enough to strut back though this entire area, camera in hand, and took some pictures to help me remember it all by!
This afternoon I headed to Castle Hill and explored. The weather was chilly (I'd say in the 50s) and breezy and when it started to drizzle I started to melt down and headed for home. I rode the funicular up the hill (Mom, it was just like Iowa--anyone else been to Dubuque?). Some great panoramas up there, plus a few characters. I found an old lady who said she made the linens she was peddling and paid her 3,000 Forint for one similar in size to the one in the picture (which I will post yet). That's about $15.00 USD. Instead of embroidery with floss hers were embroidered with ribbon.
Anyhow, when I was out and about on Friday I popped by the Opera House to see if a show was playing while I'm visiting. I bought a ticket (1,000 Forint=$5.00 USD) for the Sunday evening performance. I also stumbled by the Danube and bought myself a ticket for a cruise on Tuesday. Now all I have to do is make it through tomorrow's Half Marathon unscathed and I'm good to go! I need all the prayers and happy thoughts you can send my way!
I'll post a little about the race on my Half Crazy Mo blog -- www.halfcrazymo.blogspot.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment